Friday, April 06, 2007

The Skewed Throne (***)

A GRITTY DEBUT FANTASY!

Like Jim C Hines, Joshua Palmatier is also a valued member of our Fantasy Favorites reading group! And, as a result, I was just as nervous about posting a review for "The Skewed Throne" as I was for "Goblin Quest". Perhaps even more so ... because, frankly, I found myself slightly on edge over the unresolved ending. It was definitely a tougher book to like - grittier in its approach, even harsh and violent to what I thought were unnecessary extremes at times. I can but hope that I voiced my thoughts in a positive and constructive fashion. Here's the review I posted on Amazon:

Varis is a young urchin, “gutterscum” by her own admission, a street smart thief who manages to survive on the margin by her own wits, resorting to violence when the circumstances are forced upon her. Living from hand to mouth in “The Dredge”, a shanty town and slum beyond the borders of Amenkor, her developing abilities for murder and thievery attract the attention of Erick, a royal guardsman and assassin who seeks out and kills any marks the ruling Mistress has judged must be eliminated. Under Erick’s tutelage her abilities are honed to a ruthless edge but Varis has another skill she has not disclosed to anyone – an innate magic she calls “The River”, a supernatural flow into which she can submerge herself. In “The River” she sees evil in shades of red and innocence in shades of gray.

When Erick assigns her to kill a mark that Varis knows to be innocent, their ways part and Varis retreats back to the core of Amenkor proper. Once again, her agility, her survival skills and her murderous ability with knives bring her under scrutiny. Borund, a local merchant, hires her as a bodyguard and Varis finds herself embroiled in a conspiracy among the Amenkor merchants, an attempt to seize monopolistic control of trade at a time when the survival of the city itself seems in question. The First Mistress seems to be losing her sanity and is issuing nonsensical orders. The pitiless unfolding of events places Varis in the position of being the only one who can save Amenkor!

A fine plot line with much promise, to be sure! And, in his debut outing, Palmatier has certainly crafted his story with enviable writing skills in the development of his characters, in the clever narration of exciting action sequences, and in the layout of easy-flowing natural dialogue. Varis’ own brief and lucid description of her young life seems brutal in its crystalline clarity but totally natural in its presentation:

“I decided I’d be better off on my own. So I left. I ran away, moved deeper into the slums beyond the Dredge. I lived like an animal there, scrounging in garbage heaps, eating anything I could find, scraps you and Borund wouldn’t even feed to a dog. I was dying and I didn’t even know it.”

But I also felt that Palmatier was tip-toeing across a knife edged ridge far too narrow for my liking - the difficult decision an author must make about how much to introduce, how much to disclose, how much to resolve and how much to leave for explanation and completion in future works! Oh sure, there is obviously a sequel in the works. But there are only two plot devices which move “The Skewed Throne” from normal medieval fiction into the realm of fantasy – the magic of “The River” and “The White Fire”, some sort of bizarre, powerful event that sweeps through Amenkor from time to time! Even Varis owns up to having no idea about the meaning of The Fire:

“I felt its purpose. Nothing to do with Amenkor, nothing to do with me. It was residual energy, the remains of an event so powerful it had stretched across the ocean, burned across the sea from a distant land. The consequence of a magic that no one in the throne knew the intent of, that was totally unfamiliar. It was nothing to us.”

Personally, I’d need more resolution in this introductory novel to move it to a higher rating as a stand alone novel. But (and this is a fervent hope), in the belief that all will come clear in future novels, I’ll certainly move on to the second novel in the trilogy “The Cracked Throne” and recommend it to other fantasy lovers as well.

Well, fellow bloggers, what do you think? Did I achieve the right tone?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey Paul! I have the same trepidations about reading these books since both Joshua and Jim are in the group. It's definitely harder. But I think you did a great job with both reviews.

BTW, I nominated you for a Thinking Blogger Award. You'll have to stop by my blog to read the rules...but now it's up to you to nominate some blogs that you enjoy!

Jim C. Hines said...

I had similar thoughts in my own review of The Skewed Throne. There was a lot I liked, though the violence lost its edge a bit from repetition. At the same time, I can respect the fact that he's not shying away from it.

In some ways, I think I'm almost more interested in the story Joshua hints at (presumably to come in The Cracked Throne).

I did enjoy Varis, and the hints we get about the white fire are intriguing enough to put book two on my reading list.

Backcountry Muse said...

Thanks, Jim and Stephanie. It's nice to know that my thoughts seemed to be heading in a sensible direction.