Monday, January 01, 2007

2007 TBR CHALLENGE

I've done it! I need another reading group like I need a hole in the head but I went ahead and joined one anyway.

The whole point of this group though is to reduce the size of Mt TBR as opposed to the other way round. The idea is to select 12 books that have been sitting around collecting cobwebs screaming at you from your library shelves for at least six months. The challenge is to actually read one of these books every month with the ultimate objective being the reduction of your pile of unread books! Great idea (in theory, LOL)!

For better or for worse, here's the list of titles I've selected plus a handful of alternates in the event that a bad mood reading demon decides to attack me and I can't bear the thought of cracking the spine on one of the titles yelling at me:

1. Strange Cargo – Jeffrey Barlough (fantasy)
2. The World is Flat – Thomas L Friedman (non-fiction, sociology)
3. Angels and Demons – Dan Brown (thriller)
4. The Angel of Darkness – Caleb Carr (historical fiction)
5. Vancouver – David Cruise and Alison Griffiths (historical fiction)
6. Dreaming the Eagle – Manda Scott (historical fiction)
7. Rite of Passage – Alexei Panshin (classic sci-fi)
8. The Man Who Mapped the Arctic – Peter Steele (history)
9. The Historian – Elizabeth Kostova (fantasy)
10. Dark Fire – CJ Sansom (historical fiction
11. Backbeat – J Frederick Arment (sci-fi)
12. The Lions of Al-Rassan – Guy Gavriel Kay (fantasy)

Alternates:

1. Colonization: Aftershocks – Harry Turtledove (sci-fi)
2. War of the Flowers – Tad Williams (fantasy)
3. Clothar the Frank – Jack Whyte (historical fiction)
4. West of Eden – Harry Harrison (sci-fi)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Yeah Paul!! Now I can leave comments on your blog! It has truly been an honor "meeting" you this year. I appreciate all your comments and I love to read your reviews! May 2007 be an even better year!