Friday, August 24, 2007

"By the Decades" Challenge - Coming Right Along!

I was a little put off, frankly, with "Doc" Smith's overbearing style and "Triplanetary" didn't exactly thrill me to my toes. That said, there was more than enough content to suggest that I ought to continue with the Lensman series and hold off on final judgment for a little bit.

Having completed this title, I can now lay claim to having completed nine consecutive decades and since I'm currently reading Conan Doyle's "The Poison Belt", I'm thinking that eleven decades is a goal within short range reach. Stay tuned! This is one challenge I am determined to finish completely.

Here's the link to 3M's blog for a detailed explanation of the rules and a list of participants.


1870 The Law and the Lady - Wilkie Collins
1880 A Study in Scarlet - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
1890 The Well at World's End - William Morris
1900 First Men in the Moon - HG Wells
1910 The Poison Belt - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
1920 The Mysterious Affair at Styles – Agatha Christie
1930 Burmese Days – George Orwell
1940 Triplanetary - EE "Doc" Smith
1950 The Voyage of the Space Beagle – AE van Vogt
1960 The Chrysalids – John Wyndham
1970 Mission of Gravity – Hal Clement
1980 West of Eden – Harry Harrison
1990 Plum Island – Nelson DeMille
2000 Ptolemy's Gate – Jonathan Stroud

2 comments:

1morechapter said...

Great progress!!!

1morechapter.com

1morechapter said...

It looks like The Chrysalids is from 1955.